Wednesday, December 13, 2006

In A New York Minute

Well, I'm back at work today. Couldn't hide my head in the sand longer than a day. Not that yesterday was completely blissful and ignorant but a girl can try, can't she?

Anyway, the bad news (and is there any other kind of news around here?) started pouring in the minute I got into the office.

First, my boss. He comes in, says Good Morning and then tells me that a bus full of kids was hijacked and the kiddies sequestered. Apparently, the kidnappers had warned the neighborhood that they would strike.

Then I hear from my mother that rumors are running wild about kids being kidnapped in every school in town. It seems that at least two little girls were taken from a Catholic school not too far from my house. That's not counting the kid they took last night from his own house.

The way my boss explains it, the kidnapping gangs wanted the major schools (most of them private catholic schools) to pay a "kidnapping fee" of $15, 000 USD each to insure that said schools wouldn't have to worry about any unfortunate incidents. Since the schools didn't pay...you know the rest.

According to the police, they are targeting grammar school kids between 4 and 9 years old. Vulnerable age, isn't it? I mean, if adults don't always survive the current kidnapping wave, how can children?

By 11h am, I need a break. Instead, I got the newspaper. The headlines : "Our kids are being taken while the Prime Minister "negociates" with the gangs", "The State Hospital smells like rotting corpses as the non-medical staff continues its strike" and "Cap Haitian jail overcrowded and unsanitary".

Well, so much of taking a breather. I don't know what Santa's going to bring since yesterday there was also a lot of violence and shooting in several parts of the country following the partial results of the municipal and local elections.

You see, somebody forgot to explain to the candidats that democratic elections mean the guy with the most votes gets the job, the car and the money, NOT the one with the most armed supporters.

For this very reason, the Electoral Council decided not to publish the election results for the capital. I think they're trying to let us enjoy the hollidays, whatever that means.

Except, the candidats don't care about us. They want their election results and they want them NOW!

Now, where did I put that bottle of rum, anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's good to have you back.