Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Modus vivendi

I was torn over whether or not to post this one. Should I tell you everything, at the risk of turning you, whoever you are, from my blog? Wouldn't it be better, safer, to gloss over things, joke about them, just to keep you coming back?

But then, why did I start this blog? Because I need to tell somebody. Because I find myself in the same place I was almost 15 years ago : feeling overwhelmed, trapped and with no one to share the burden with.

So, I'll risk it. I'll tell you all. Can you handle the truth?

At the end of last week, two of the owners of a well-known, very popular pharmacy were abducted in front of their store early in the morning. They were kept for a couple of days and released one after the other when the ransom was payed. This has become a daily occurrence here. You fear it but you get used to it. It may happen to you today or tomorrow but you're just relieved to get home each night until it's your turn.

Except for the stories the victims tell. Oh, it would be harrowing enough to be kidnapped by armed criminals in broad daylight. Only, these men, these creatures have taken to beating and torturing their prey. Those two victims I told you about? The woman was struck to the face with the butt of a handgun. Her brother's eardrum was pierced with a pencil. Just for fun, it seems. It's not like they were resisting.

Long story short, the criminals were paid, the victims returned home. Shattered, but alive. Maybe that's all we should hope for.

No comments: